Main Article Content
economics, cost analysis, plastic surgery, prostheses and implants, breast
Background: Treatment of complications from cosmetic breast augmentation is subsidised by government funding in Australia.
Aim: We aimed to estimate the total cost to the Australian public health system of the treatment of complications following cosmetic breast augmentation.
Method: Using the PRISMA 2009 statement, a systematic review was conducted to find articles reporting on complications following cosmetic breast augmentation. A quantitative analysis was performed to calculate overall complication rates.
An economic cost analysis was performed on data from procedures performed in Australia between 2000-01 and 2014-15. We modelled costs to the public health system for this period and projected costs to the year 2030.
Results: Thirty-nine articles were identified for inclusion in the quantitative analysis of complication rates following cosmetic breast augmentation. Economic modelling showed an estimated cost of over A$10 million just for surgeons’ and surgical assistants’ fees to treat complications between 2000 and 2015. We forecast over A$50 million for this cost over the subsequent fifteen years. Total health spending on complications is estimated to have been almost A$200 million between 2000 and 2015.
Conclusion: This study illustrates the significant economic cost to the Australian health system created by complications following cosmetic breast augmentation. We believe this study reinforces the importance of the Australian breast device registry (ABDR) to further guide regulation, economic policy and health policy.
2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Procedures and healthcare interventions (ACHI 2nd–8th editions), Australia, 2000–01 to 2014–15 [web report]. Canberra: Australian Government [Updated 5 July 2018; cited 1 September, 2017]. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/hospitals/procedures-data-cubes/contents/data-cubes.
3. Hvilsom GB, Holmich LR, Henriksen TF, Lipworth L, McLaughlin JK, Friis S. Local complications after cosmetic breast augmentation: results from the Danish registry for plastic surgery of the breast. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;124(3):919–25.
4. Kjoller K, Holmich LR, Jacobsen PH, Friis S, Fryzek J, McLaughlin JK, Lipworth L, Henrikson TF, Jorgensen S, Bittmann S, Olsen JH. Epidemiological investigation of local complications after cosmetic breast implant surgery in Denmark. Ann Plast Surg. 2002;48(3):229–37.
5. Namnoum JD, Largent J, Kaplan HM, Oefelein MG, Brown MH. Primary breast augmentation clinical trial outcomes stratified by surgical incision, anatomical placement and implant device type. J Plast Reconstr Aes. 2013;66(9):1165–172.
6. Maxwell GP, Van Natta BW, Bengtson BP, Murphy DK. Ten-year results from the Natrelle 410 anatomical form-stable silicone breast implant core study. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2015;35(2):145–55.
7. Spear SL, Murphy DK. Natrelle round silicone breast implants: core study results at 10 years. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133(6):1354–361.
8. Lista F, Tutino R, Khan A, Ahmad J. Subglandular breast augmentation with textured, anatomic, cohesive silicone implants: a review of 440 consecutive patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013;132(2):295–303.
9. Caplin DA. Indications for the use of MemoryShape breast implants in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery: long-term clinical outcomes of shaped versus round silicone breast implants. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;134 Suppl 3:27s–37s.
10. Henriksen TF, Holmich LR, Fryzek JP, Friis S, McLaughlin JK, Høyer AP, Kjøller K, Olsen JH. Incidence and severity of short-term complications after breast augmentation: results from a nationwide breast implant registry. Ann Plast Surg. 2003;51(6):531–39.
11. Stevens WG, Calobrace MB, Harrington J, Alizadeh K, Zeidler KR, d’Incelli RC. Nine-year core study data for sientra’s FDA-approved round and shaped implants with high-strength cohesive silicone gel. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2016;36(4):404–16.
12. Benito-Ruiz J, Manzano ML, Salvador-Miranda L. Five-year outcomes of breast augmentation with form-stable implants: periareolar vs transaxillary. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2017;37(1):46–56.
13. Nava MB, Rancati A, Angrigiani C, Catanuto G, Rocco N. How to prevent complications in breast augmentation. Gland Surg. 2017;6(2):210–17.
14. Hanefeld J, Horsfall D, Lunt N, Smith R. Medical tourism: a cost or benefit to the NHS? PLOS One. 2013;8(10):e70406.
15. Fagrell D, Berggren A, Tarpila E. Capsular contracture around saline-filled fine textured and smooth mammary implants: a prospective 7.5-year follow-up. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001;108(7):2108–112.
16. Blount AL, Martin MD, Lineberry KD, Kettaneh N, Alfonso DR. Capsular contracture rate in a low-risk population after primary augmentation mammaplasty. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2013;33(4):516–21.
17. Walker PS, Walls B, Murphy DK. Natrelle saline-filled breast implants: a prospective 10-year study. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2009;29(1):19–25.
18. Swanson E. Prospective comparative clinical evaluation of 784 consecutive cases of breast augmentation and vertical mammaplasty, performed individually and in combination. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013;132(1):30e–45e.
19. Araco A, Gravante G, Araco F, Delogu D, Cervelli V, Walgenbach K. A retrospective analysis of 3,000 primary aesthetic breast augmentations: postoperative complications and associated factors. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2007;31(5):532–39.
20. Levi B, Rademaker AW, Fine NA, Mustoe TA. Comparison of breast implant deflation for mentor anterior and posterior valve designs in aesthetic and reconstructive patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008;122(3):685–92.
21. Stevens WG, Stoker DA, Fellows DR, Hirsch EM. Acceleration of textured saline breast implant deflation rate: results and analysis of 645 implants. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2005;25(1):37–39.
22. Somogyi RB, Brown MH. Outcomes in primary breast augmentation: a single surgeon’s review of 1539 consecutive cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;135(1):87–97.
23. Basile AR, Basile F, Basile AV. Late infection following breast augmentation with textured silicone gel-filled implants. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2005;25(3):249–54.
24. Brown MH, Shenker R, Silver SA. Cohesive silicone gel breast implants in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;116(3):768–79.
25. Collis N, Coleman D, Foo IT, Sharpe DT. Ten-year review of a prospective randomized controlled trial of textured versus smooth subglandular silicone gel breast implants. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;106(4):786–91.
26. Dancey A, Nassimizadeh A, Levick P. Capsular contracture—what are the risk factors? A 14-year series of 1400 consecutive augmentations. J Plast Reconstr Aes. 2012;65(2):213–18.
27. Giordano S, Peltoniemi H, Lilius P, Salmi A. Povidone-iodine combined with antibiotic topical irrigation to reduce capsular contracture in cosmetic breast augmentation: a comparative study. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2013;33(5):675–80.
28. Haws MJ, Schwartz MR, Berger LH, Daulton KL. Sientra portfolio of Silimed brand shaped implants with high-strength silicone gel: a 5-year primary augmentation clinical study experience and a postapproval experience-results from a single-surgeon 108-patient series. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;134 Suppl 1:38s–46s.
29. Holmich LR, Breiting VB, Fryzek JP, Brandt B, Wolthers MS, Kjøller K, McLaughlin JK, Friis S. Long-term cosmetic outcome after breast implantation. Ann Plast Surg. 2007;59(6):597–604.
30. Niechajev I, Jurell G, Lohjelm L. Prospective study comparing two brands of cohesive gel breast implants with anatomic shape: 5-year follow-up evaluation. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2007;31(6):697–710.
31. Pfeiffer P, Jorgensen S, Kristiansen TB, Jorgensen A, Holmich LR. Protective effect of topical antibiotics in breast augmentation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;124(2):629–34.
32. Sevin A, Sevin K, Senen D, Deren O, Adanali G, Erdogan B. Augmentation mammaplasty: retrospective analysis of 210 cases. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2006;30(6):651–54.
33. Stevens WG, Hirsch EM, Tenenbaum MJ, Acevedo M. A prospective study of 708 form-stable silicone gel breast implants. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2010;30(5):693–701.
34. Doren EL, Pierpont YN, Shivers SC, Berger LH. Comparison of Allergan, Mentor, and Sientra contoured cohesive gel breast implants: a single surgeon’s 10-year experience. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(5):957–66.
35. Doshier LJ, Eagan SL, Shock LA, Henry SL, Colbert SH, Puckett CL. The subtleties of success in simultaneous augmentation-mastopexy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016;138(3):585–92.
36. Drinane JJ, Kortes MJ, Bergman RS, Folkers BL. Evaluation of antibiotic irrigation versus saline irrigation in reducing the long-term incidence and severity of capsular contraction after primary augmentation mammoplasty. Ann Plast Surg. 2016;77(1):32–36.
37. Flugstad NA, Pozner JN, Baxter RA, Creasman C, Egrari S, Martin S, Messa CA, Oliva A, Schlesinger SL, Kortesis WG. Does implant insertion with a funnel decrease capsular contracture? A preliminary report. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2016;36(5):550–56.
38. Keramidas E, Lymperopoulos NS, Rodopoulou S. Is antibiotic prophylaxis in breast augmentation necessary? A prospective study. Plastic surgery (Oakv). 2016;24(3):195–98.
39. Kerfant N, Henry AS, Hu W, Marchac A, Auclair E. Subfascial primary breast augmentation with fat grafting: a review of 156 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139(5):1080e–085e.
40. McGuire P, Reisman NR, Murphy DK. Risk factor analysis for capsular contracture, malposition, and late seroma in subjects receiving natrelle 410 form-stable silicone breast implants. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139(1):1–9.
41. Castello MF, Lazzeri D, Silvestri A, Agostini T, Pascone C, Marcelli C, Gigliotti D, D’Aniello C, Gasparotti M. Maximizing the use of precapsular space and the choice of implant type in breast augmentation mammaplasty revisions: review of 49 consecutive procedures and patient satisfaction assessment. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2011;35(5):828–38.
42. Forster NA, Kunzi W, Giovanoli P. The reoperation cascade after breast augmentation with implants: what the patient needs to know. J Plast Reconstr Aes. 2013;66(3):313–22.
43. Grewal NS, Fisher J. Why do patients seek revisionary breast surgery? Aesthet Surg J. 2013;33(2):237–44.
44. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Demographic Statistics, June 2014. Canberra: Australian Government [Released 18 December 2014; cited 1 September 2017]. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/allprimarymainfeatures/54A5E977BB10644CCA257E1300775B9B?opendocument.
45. Gurgacz S, Lambert R, Vogan A, Cooter R, Mutimer K, Maddern G. Rapid review: breast prosthesis implantation for reconstructive and cosmetic surgery: Australian safety and efficacy register of new interventional procedures-surgical. ASERNIP-S report no. 82. Royal Australian College of Surgeons. Adelaide, South Australia, December 2013. [Updated December 2013; cited 1 September 2018]. Available from: https://www.surgeons.org/media/20844776/rpt_2014-02-04_rr_breast_implantation__2_.pdf
46. Schaub TA, Ahmad J, Rohrich RJ. Capsular contracture with breast implants in the cosmetic patient: saline versus silicone—a systematic review of the literature. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010;126(6):2140–149.
47. Wong CH, Samuel M, Tan BK, Song C. Capsular contracture in subglandular breast augmentation with textured versus smooth breast implants: a systematic review. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;118(5):1224–236.
48. Liu X, Zhou L, Pan F, Gao Y, Yuan X, Fan D. Comparison of the postoperative incidence rate of capsular contracture among different breast implants: a cumulative meta-analysis. PLOS One.2015;10(2):e0116071.
49. Horsnell JD, Searle AE, Harris PA. Intra-operative techniques to reduce the risk of capsular contracture in patients undergoing aesthetic breast augmentation—a review. Surgeon 2017;15(5):282–89.
50. Gampper TJ, Khoury H, Gottlieb W, Morgan RF. Silicone gel implants in breast augmentation and reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2007;59(5):581–90.
51. Huang N, Liu M, Yu P, Wu J. Antibiotic prophylaxis in prosthesis-based mammoplasty: a systematic review. Int J Surg. 2015;15:31–37.
52. Egeberg A, Sorensen JA. The impact of breast implant location on the risk of capsular contraction. Ann Plast Surg. 2016;77(2):255–59.
53. Yalanis GC, Liu EW, Cheng HT. Efficacy and safety of povidone-iodine irrigation in reducing the risk of capsular contracture in aesthetic breast augmentation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(4):687–98.
54. Alderman A, Pusic A, Murphy DK. Prospective analysis of primary breast augmentation on body image using the BREAST-Q: results from a nationwide study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016;137(6):954e–60e.
55. Murphy DK, Beckstrand M, Sarwer DB. A prospective, multi-center study of psychosocial outcomes after augmentation with natrelle silicone-filled breast implants. Ann Plast Surg. 2009;62(2):118–21.
56. McCarthy CM, Cano SJ, Klassen AF, Scott A, Van Laeken N, Lennox PA, Cordeiro PG, Pusic AL. The magnitude of effect of cosmetic breast augmentation on patient satisfaction and health-related quality of life. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;130(1):218–23.
57. Livingston R, Berlund P, Eccles-Smith J, Sawhney R. The real cost of ‘cosmetic tourism’ cost analysis study of ‘cosmetic tourism’ complications presenting to a public hospital. E-Plast. 2015;15:e34.
58. Miyagi K, Auberson D, Patel AJ, Malata CM. The unwritten price of cosmetic tourism: an observational study and cost analysis. J Plast Reconstr Aes. 2012;65(1):22–28.
59. Adabi K, Stern CS, Weichman KE, Garfein ES, Pothula A, Draper L, Tepper OM. Population health implications of medical tourism. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(1):66–74.
60. Boulton TN, Malacrida C. Women and cosmetic breast surgery: weighing the medical, social, and lifestyle risks. Qual Health Res. 2012;22(4):511–23.
61. Brunton G, Paraskeva N, Caird J, Bird KS, Kavanagh J, Kwan I, Stansfield C, Rumsey N, Thomas J. Psychosocial predictors, assessment, and outcomes of cosmetic procedures: a systematic rapid evidence assessment. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2014;38(5):1030–040.
62. Alderman AK, Bauer J, Fardo D, Abrahamse P, Pusic A. Understanding the effect of breast augmentation on quality of life: prospective analysis using the BREAST-Q. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133(4):787–95.
63. Lipworth L, Nyren O, Ye W, Fryzek JP, Tarone RE, McLaughlin JK. Excess mortality from suicide and other external causes of death among women with cosmetic breast implants. Ann Plast Surg. 2007;59(2):119–123; discussion 124–15.
64. Figueroa-Haas CL. Effect of breast augmentation mammoplasty on self-esteem and sexuality: a quantitative analysis. Plast Surg Nurs. 2007;27(1):16–36.
65. Li S, Chen L, Liu W, Mu D, Luan J. Capsular contracture rate after breast augmentation with periareolar versus other two (inframammary and transaxillary) incisions: a meta-analysis. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2018;42(1):32–37
66. Zelken J, Cheng MH. Asian breast augmentation: a systematic review. Plast Reconstr Surg Global Open. 2015;3(11):e555.
67. Berry MG, Stanek JJ. Brachial plexus impingement: an unusual complication of bilateral breast augmentation. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2008;32(2):381–82.
68. Dragoumis DM, Assimaki AS, Vrizas TI, Tsiftsoglou AP. Axillary silicone lymphadenopathy secondary to augmentation mammaplasty. Indian J Plast Surg. 2010;43(2):206–09.<
69. Iorwerth A, Cochrane R, Webster DJ. Chronic haematoma as a late complication of cosmetic breast augmentation. Breast. 2000;9(3):158–60.
70. Nagrani T, Neuman T, Baldari D, Zaher M, Lafferty J, Baglini R, Kasabian A. Tamponade following breast augmentation. Ann Plast Surg. 2010;64(2):141–43.
71. Johnson L, O’Donoghue JM, McLean N, Turton P, Khan AA, Turner SD, Lennard A, Collis N, Butterworth M, Gui G, Bristol J, Hurren J, Smith S, Grover K,
72. Spyrou G, Krupa K, Azmy IA, Young IE, Staiano JJ, Khalil H, MacNeill FA. Breast implant associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma: the UK experience. Recommendations on its management and implications for informed consent. Eur J Plast Surg. 2017;43(8):1393–401.
73. Srinivasa DR, Miranda RN, Kaura A, Francis AM, Campanale A, Boldrini R, Alexander J, Deva AK, Gravina PR, Medeiros LJ, Nast K, Butler CE, Clemens MW. Global adverse event reports of breast implant-associated ALCL: an international review of 40 government authority databases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139(5):1029–039.
74. Australian Breast Device Registry [website]. Canberra: Australian Government, 2017 [Cited 1 January 2018]. Available from: http://www.abdr.org.au.