Main Article Content
Dupuytren's disease, Collagenase, fasciotomy, fasciectomy, patient reported outcome measures, hand surgery, dupuytren, xiaflex
Dupuytren’s disease (DD) is a common disease which leads to significant functional impairment of the hand. The recent introduction of Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum (CCH) as a therapeutic option has changed the approach to disease management. Currently no management paradigm exists for treating Dupuytren’s disease within Australia.
Databases were searched for Dupuytren’s disease patients receiving CCH. PRISMA guidelines were used to screen predefined classification of effectiveness, safety and recurrence of CCH.
In this review, 18 studies were included and analysed to evaluate the effectiveness, safety and recurrence of CCH.
CCH has the potential as a non-surgical therapeutic option to expand the management paradigm for DD. This may minimise treatment time, cost and improve the public health care sector’s treatment of DD.
2. Hurst LC, Badalamente MA, Hentz VR, Hotchkiss RN, Kaplan FT, Meals RA, et al. Injectable collagenase clostridium histolyticum for Dupuytren's contracture. N Engl J Med
3. Ball C, Pratt AL, Nanchahal J. Optimal functional outcome measures for assessing treatment for Dupuytren’s disease: a systematic review and recommendations for future practice. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013;14(1):131.
4. Tubiana R. Planning of surgical treatment. The Hand. 1975;7(3):223-7.
5. Eaton C. Evidence-based medicine: Dupuytren contracture. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133(5):1241-51.
6. Shaw RB, Chong AK, Zhang A, Hentz VR, Chang J. Dupuytren's disease: history, diagnosis, and treatment. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120(3):44e-54e.
7. Lee Matthew VK, Hunter‐Smith D. Needle fasciotomy for Dupuytren's disease: an Australian perspective. ANZ J Surg. 2009;79(11):776-8.
8. Eaton C. Percutaneous Fasciotomy for Dupuytren's Contracture. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36(5):910-5.
9. Watt AJ, Hentz VR. Collagenase clostridium histolyticum: a novel nonoperative treatment for Dupuytren's disease. Int J Clin Rheumtol. 2011;6(2):123-33.
10. Gilpin D, Coleman S, Hall S, Houston A, Karrasch J, Jones N. Injectable Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum: a new nonsurgical treatment for Dupuytren’s disease. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35.
11. Ball C, Izadi D, Verjee LS, Chan J, Nanchahal J. Systematic review of non-surgical treatments for early Dupuytren’s disease. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17(1):345.
12. Betz N, Ott O, Adamietz B, Sauer R, Fietkau R, Keilholz L. Radiotherapy in early-stage Dupuytren's contracture. Long-term results after 13 years. Strahlenther Onkol. 2010;186(82-90).
13. Meek RM, McLellan S, Reilly J, Crossan JF. The effect of steroids on Dupuytren's disease: role of programmed cell death. J Hand Surg Br. 2002;27:270-3.
14. Higgins J, Green S (editors). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration. 2011.
15. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Ann Intern Med. 2009;151(4):264-9, w64.
16. Howick J CI, Glasziou P, Greenhalgh T, Heneghan C, Liberati A, et al. The Oxford Levels of Evidence 2. 2.1 ed.[Internet]. Oxford (UK). OCEBM Levels of Evidence Working Group. 2011. [cited 2018 Apr 1]. Available from: https://www.cebm.net/2016/05/ocebm-levels-of-evidence/.
17. Glasgow RE, Lichtenstein E, Marcus AC. Why don’t we see more translation of health promotion research to practice? Rethinking the efficacy-to-effectiveness transition. Am J Public Health. 2003;93(8):1261-7.
18. Verstreken F, Degreef I, Decramer A, Libberecht K, Vanhove W, Datco A, Vanhaecke J, Clermont D, Duerinckx J. Effectiveness and safety of collagenase Clostridium histolyticum in Dupuytren's disease : an observational study in Belgium. Acta Orthop Belg. 2016;82(2):397-404.
19. Dreise MM, Stenekes MW, Werker PM. Collagenase Treatment for Dupuytren Disease of the Thumb and First Web. J Hand Surg Am. 2016;41(3):348-53.e1.
20. Zhou C, Hovius SE, Slijper HP, Feitz R, Van Nieuwenhoven CA, Pieters AJ, et al. Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum versus Limited Fasciectomy for Dupuytren's Contracture: Outcomes from a Multicenter Propensity Score Matched Study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(1):87-97.
21. Alberton F, Corain M, Garofano A, Pangallo L, Valore A, Zanella V, Adani R. Efficacy and safety of collagenase Clostridium histolyticum injection for Dupuytren contracture: report of 40 cases. Musculoskelet Surg. 2014;98(3):225-32.
22. Skov ST, Bisgaard T, Sondergaard P, Lange J. Injectable Collagenase Versus Percutaneous Needle Fasciotomy for Dupuytren Contracture in Proximal Interphalangeal Joints: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Hand Surg Am. 2017;42(5):321-8.e3.
23. Arora R, Kaiser P, Kastenberger TJ, Schmiedle G, Erhart S, Gabl M. Injectable collagenase Clostridium histolyticum as a nonsurgical treatment for Dupuytren's disease. Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2016;28(1):30-7.
24. Gaston RG, Larsen SE, Pess GM, Coleman S, Dean B, Cohen BM, Kaufman GJ, Tursi JP, Hurst LC. The Efficacy and Safety of Concurrent Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum Injections for 2 Dupuytren Contractures in the Same Hand: A Prospective, Multicenter Study. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(10):1963-71.
25. Nydick JA, Olliff BW, Garcia MJ, Hess AV, Stone JD. A comparison of percutaneous needle fasciotomy and collagenase injection for dupuytren disease. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(12):2377-80.
26. Witthaut J, Jones G, Skrepnik N, Kushner H, Houston A, Lindau TR. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum injection for Dupuytren contracture: short-term results from 2 open-label studies. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):2-11.
27. Sennwald GR. Fasciectomy for treatment of Dupuytren's disease and early complications. J Hand Surg. 1990;15(5):755-61.
28. Bear BJ, Peimer CA, Kaplan FTD, Kaufman GJ, Tursi JP, Smith T. Treatment of Recurrent Dupuytren Contracture in Joints Previously Effectively Treated With Collagenase Clostridium histolyticum. J Hand Surg Am. 2017;42(5):391.e1-.e8.
29. Mickelson DT, Noland SS, Watt AJ, Kollitz KM, Vedder NB, Huang JI. Prospective randomized controlled trial comparing 1- versus 7-day manipulation following collagenase injection for dupuytren contracture. J Hand Surg Am. 2014;39(10):1933-41.e1.
30. Beaudreuil J, Allard A, Zerkak D, Gerber RA, Cappelleri JC, Quintero N, et al. Unite Rhumatologique des Affections de la Main (URAM) scale: development and validation of a tool to assess Dupuytren's disease-specific disability. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011;63(10):1448-55.
31. Mohan A, Vadher J, Ismail H, Warwick D. The Southampton Dupuytren's Scoring Scheme. J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2014;48(1):28-33.
32. Rodrigues J, Zhang W, Scammell B, Russell P, Chakrabarti I, Fullilove S, Lasbleiz S, Bernabé B, Orcel P, Bardin T; URAM Study Group. Validity of the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand patient-reported outcome measure (DASH) and the Quickdash when used in Dupuytren’s disease. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015;41(6):589-99.
33. Wehrli M, Hensler S, Schindele S, Herren DB, Marks M. Measurement Properties of the Brief Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire in Patients With Dupuytren Contracture. J Hand Surg. 2016;41(9):896-902.
34. Leung R CR, Lei A, Nour D, Rozen WM, Hunter-Smith DJ. Morbidity Of Interventions In The Treatment Of Primary Dupuytren’s Disease: A Systematic Review. Aust NZ J Surg. 2018;88(S1):133-64.
35. Administration FaD. Food and Drugs: Investigational New Drug Application. FDA Maryland. 2017;5:1-2.
36. Coleman S, Gilpin D, Kaplan FT, Houston A, Kaufman GJ, Cohen BM, et al. Efficacy and safety of concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections for multiple Dupuytren contractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2014;39(1):57-64.
37. Coleman S, Gilpin D, Tursi J, Kaufman G, Jones N, Cohen B. Multiple concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections to Dupuytren's cords: an exploratory study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012;13:61.
38. Kan HJ, Verrijp FW, Huisstede BMA, Hovius SER, van Nieuwenhoven CA, Selles RW. The consequences of different definitions for recurrence of Dupuytren's disease. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013;66(1):95-103.
39. Peimer CA, Blazar P, Coleman S, Kaplan FT, Smith T, Lindau T. Dupuytren Contracture Recurrence Following Treatment With Collagenase Clostridium histolyticum (CORDLESS [Collagenase Option for Reduction of Dupuytren Long-Term Evaluation of Safety Study]): 5-Year Data. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(8):1597-605.
40. Kan HJ, Verrijp FW, Hovius SER, van Nieuwenhoven CA, Dupuytren Delphi G, Selles RW. Recurrence of Dupuytren’s contracture: A consensus-based definition. PLoS One. 2017;12(5):e0164849.
41. Watt AJ, Curtin CM, Hentz VR. Collagenase injection as nonsurgical treatment of Dupuytren’s disease: 8-year follow-up. J Hand Surg. 2010;35.
42. Peimer CA, Blazar P, Coleman S, Kaplan FT, Smith T, Tursi JP, et al. Dupuytren contracture recurrence following treatment with collagenase clostridium histolyticum (CORDLESS study): 3-year data. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):12-22.
43. Lewis E, Fors L, Tharion WJ. Interrater and Intrarater Reliability of Finger Goniometric Measurements. Am J Occup Ther. 2010;64(4):555-61.
44. Manning CJ, Delaney R, Hayton MJ. Efficacy and tolerability of Day 2 manipulation and local anaesthesia after collagenase injection in patients with Dupuytren’s contracture. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014;39(5):466-71.
45. Chae M LR, Hunter-Smith DJ, Rozen WM. Delayed 7 Day Manipulation in Collagenase Treatment for Dupuytrens Disease. Aust NZ J Surg. 2018;88(S1):71-9.
46. Jerosch-Herold C, Shepstone L, Chojnowski AJ, Larson D, Barrett E, Vaughan SP. Night-time splinting after fasciectomy or dermo-fasciectomy for Dupuytren's contracture: a pragmatic, multi-centre, randomised controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011;12:136.
47. Kemler MA, Houpt P, van der Horst CMAM. A pilot study assessing the effectiveness of postoperative splinting after limited fasciectomy for Dupuytren’s disease. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012;37(8):733-7.
48. Pratt AL, Ball C. What are we measuring? A critique of range of motion methods currently in use for Dupuytren's disease and recommendations for practice. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:20.
49. Rodrigues JN, Zhang W, Scammell BE, Davis TRC. What patients want from the treatment of Dupuytren’s disease — is the Unité Rhumatologique des Affections de la Main (URAM) scale relevant? J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014;40(2):150-4.
50. Witthaut J, Jones G, Skrepnik N, Kushner H, Houston A, Lindau TR. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum injection for Dupuytren contracture: short-term results from 2 open-label studies. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):2-11.
51. Lundh A, Lexchin J, Mintzes B, Schroll JB, Bero L. Industry sponsorship and research outcome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2017(2).
52. Scherman P, Jenmalm P, Dahlin LB. One-year results of needle fasciotomy and collagenase injection in treatment of Dupuytren's contracture: A two-centre prospective randomized clinical trial. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2016;41(6):577-82.
53. Toppi Jason T, Trompf L, Smoll Nicolas R, Lim V, Smith K, Findlay Michael W, et al. Dupuytren's contracture: an analysis of outcomes of percutaneous needle fasciotomy versus open fasciectomy. ANZ J Surg. 2014;85(9):639-43.
54. van Rijssen AL, ter Linden H, Werker PM. Five-year results of a randomized clinical trial on treatment in Dupuytren's disease: percutaneous needle fasciotomy versus limited fasciectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;129(2):469-77.