Main Article Content
Hand, dupuytren contracture, microbial collagenase, health care costs, Australia
Introduction: Dupuytren’s disease (DD) is a common disease which leads to significant functional impairment of the hand. The recent introduction of Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum (CCH) as a therapeutic option has changed the approach to disease management. Currently no management paradigm exists for treating Dupuytren’s disease within Australia.
Methods: Databases were searched for Dupuytren’s disease patients receiving CCH. PRISMA guidelines were used to screen predefined classification of effectiveness, safety and recurrence of CCH.
Results: In this review, 18 studies were included and analysed to evaluate the effectiveness, safety and recurrence of CCH.
Conclusion: CCH has the potential as a non-surgical therapeutic option to expand the management paradigm for DD. This may minimise treatment time, cost and improve the public health care sector’s treatment of DD.
2. Hurst LC, Badalamente MA, Hentz VR, Hotchkiss RN, Kaplan FT, Meals RA, TM Smith, Rodzvilla J. Injectable collagenase clostridium histolyticum for Dupuytren's contracture. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(10):968–79. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0810866 PMid:19726771
3. Ball C, Pratt AL, Nanchahal J. Optimal functional outcome measures for assessing treatment for Dupuytren's disease: a systematic review and recommendations for future practice. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013;14(1):131. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-14-131 PMid:23575442 PMCid:PMC3637830
4. Tubiana R. Planning of surgical treatment. The Hand. 1975;7(3):223–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/0072-968X(75)90057-1
5. Eaton C. Evidence-based medicine: Dupuytren contracture. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133(5):124–51. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000000089 PMid:24776555
6. Shaw RB, Chong AK, Zhang A, Hentz VR, Chang J. Dupuytren's disease: history, diagnosis, and treatment. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120(3):44e–54e. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.prs.0000278455.63546.03 PMid:17700106
7. Lee Matthew VK, Hunter?Smith D. Needle fasciotomy for Dupuytren's disease: an Australian perspective. ANZ J Surg. 2009;79(11):776–78. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2009.05101.x PMid:20078523
8. Eaton C. Percutaneous fasciotomy for Dupuytren's contracture. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36(5):910–15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2011.02.016 PMid:21527145
9. Watt AJ, Hentz VR. Collagenase clostridium histolyticum: a novel nonoperative treatment for Dupuytren's disease. Int J Clin Rheumtol. 2011;6(2):123–33. https://doi.org/10.2217/ijr.11.4
10. Gilpin D, Coleman S, Hall S, Houston A, Karrasch J, Jones N. Injectable collagenase clostridium histolyticum: a new nonsurgical treatment for Dupuytren's disease. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35(12):2027–038e1.
11. Ball C, Izadi D, Verjee LS, Chan J, Nanchahal J. Systematic review of non-surgical treatments for early Dupuytren's disease. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17(1):345. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-016-1200-y PMid:27526686 PMCid:PMC4986253
12. Betz N, Ott O, Adamietz B, Sauer R, Fietkau R, Keilholz L. Radiotherapy in early-stage Dupuytren's contracture. Long-term results after 13 years. Strahlenther Onkol. 2010;186:82–90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00066-010-2063-z PMid:20127225
13. Meek RM, McLellan S, Reilly J, Crossan JF. The effect of steroids on Dupuytren's disease: role of programmed cell death. J Hand Surg Br. 2002;27:270–73. https://doi.org/10.1054/jhsb.2001.0742 PMid:12074617
14. Higgins JPT, Churchill R, Chandler J, Cumpston MS (editors). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Version 5.2.0 [web resource]. The Cochrane Collaboration [Updated February 2017
15. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Ann Intern Med. 2009;151(4):264–69, w64.
16. Howick J, Chalmers I, Glasziou P, Greenhalgh T, Heneghan C, Liberati A, Moschetti I, Phillips B, Thornton H, Godward O, Hodgkinson M. The Oxford levels of evidence 2. Edition 2.1 [Internet]. Oxford (UK): OCEBM (Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine) Levels of Evidence Working Group. [Updated 1 May 2016
17. Glasgow RE, Lichtenstein E, Marcus AC. Why don't we see more translation of health promotion research to practice? Rethinking the efficacy-to-effectiveness transition. Am J Public Health. 2003;93(8):1261–267. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.8.1261 PMid:12893608 PMCid:PMC1447950
18. Verstreken F, Degreef I, Decramer A, Libberecht K, Vanhove W, Datco A, Vanhaecke J, Clermont D, Duerinckx J. Effectiveness and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum in Dupuytren's disease: an observational study in Belgium. Acta Orthop Belg. 2016;82(2):397–404. PMid:27682305
19. Dreise MM, Stenekes MW, Werker PM. Collagenase treatment for Dupuytren disease of the thumb and first web. J Hand Surg Am. 2016;41(3):348–53.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.12.003 PMid:26803569
20. Zhou C, Hovius SE, Slijper HP, Feitz R, Van Nieuwenhoven CA, Pieters AJ, Adriana J, Selles RW. Collagenase clostridium histolyticum versus limited fasciectomy for Dupuytren's contracture: outcomes from a multicenter propensity score matched study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(1):87–87. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000001320 PMid:25829153
21. Alberton F, Corain M, Garofano A, Pangallo L, Valore A, Zanella V, Adani R. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum injection for Dupuytren contracture: report of 40 cases.Musculoskelet Surg. 2014;98(3):225–32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12306-013-0304-x PMid:24254968
22. Skov ST, Bisgaard T, Sondergaard P, Lange J. Injectable collagenase versus percutaneous needle fasciotomy for Dupuytren contracture in proximal interphalangeal joints: a randomized controlled trial. J Hand Surg Am. 2017;42(5):321–28.e3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2017.03.003 PMid:28473158
23. Arora R, Kaiser P, Kastenberger TJ, Schmiedle G, Erhart S, Gabl M. Injectable collagenase clostridium histolyticum as a nonsurgical treatment for Dupuytren's disease. Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2016;28(1):30–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00064-015-0434-4 PMid:26683416
24. Gaston RG, Larsen SE, Pess GM, Coleman S, Dean B, Cohen BM, Kaufman GJ, Tursi JP, Hurst LC. The efficacy and safety of concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections for 2 Dupuytren contractures in the same hand: a prospective, multicenter study. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(10):1963–971. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.06.099 PMid:26216077
25. Nydick JA, Olliff BW, Garcia MJ, Hess AV, Stone JD. A comparison of percutaneous needle fasciotomy and collagenase injection for Dupuytren disease. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(12):2377–380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2013.08.096 PMid:24060510
26. Witthaut J, Jones G, Skrepnik N, Kushner H, Houston A, Lindau TR. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum injection for Dupuytren contracture: short-term results from two open-label studies. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):2–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.10.008 PMid:23218556
27. Sennwald GR. Fasciectomy for treatment of Dupuytren's disease and early complications. J Hand Surg. 1990;15(5):755–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/0363-5023(90)90151-G
28. Peimer CA, Blazar P, Coleman S, Kaplan FT, Smith T, Lindau T. Dupuytren contracture recurrence following treatment with collagenase costridium histolyticum (CORDLESS [Collagenase option for reduction of Dupuytren long-term evaluation of safety study]): 5-year data. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(8):1597–605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.04.036 PMid:26096221
29. Bear BJ, Peimer CA, Kaplan FTD, Kaufman GJ, Tursi JP, Smith T. Treatment of recurrent Dupuytren contracture in joints previously effectively treated with collagenase clostridium histolyticum. J Hand Surg Am. 2017;42(5):391.e1–.e8.
30. Mickelson DT, Noland SS, Watt AJ, Kollitz KM, Vedder NB, Huang JI. Prospective randomized controlled trial comparing 1- versus 7-day manipulation following collagenase injection for Dupuytren contracture. J Hand Surg Am. 2014;39(10):1933–941.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2014.07.010 PMid:25194768
31. Beaudreuil J, Allard A, Zerkak D, Gerber RA, Cappelleri JC, Quintero N, Lasbleiz S, Bernabe B, Orcel P, Bardin T. Unite rhumatologique des affections de la main (URAM) scale: development and validation of a tool to assess Dupuytren's disease-specific disability. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011;63(10):1448–455. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20564 PMid:21786431
32. Mohan A, Vadher J, Ismail H, Warwick D. The Southampton Dupuytren's scoring scheme. J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2014;48(1):28–33. https://doi.org/10.3109/2000656X.2013.794349 PMid:24428161
33. Rodrigues J, Zhang W, Scammell B, Russell P, Chakrabarti I, Fullilove S, Lasbleiz S, Bernabé B, Orcel P, Bardin T, URAM Study Group. Validity of the disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand patient-reported outcome measure (DASH) and the Quickdash when used in Dupuytren's disease. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015;41(6):589–99. https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193415601350 PMid:26307142
34. Wehrli M, Hensler S, Schindele S, Herren DB, Marks M. Measurement properties of the brief Michigan hand outcomes questionnaire in patients with Dupuytren contracture. J Hand Surg. 2016;41(9):896–902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2016.06.009 PMid:27469936
35. Leung R, Lei A, Nour D, Rozen WM, Hunter-Smith DJ. Morbidity of interventions in the treatment of primary Dupuytren's disease: a systematic review. Aust NZ J Surg. 2018;88(S1):133–64.
36. United States Food and Drug Administration. Investigational new drug application. 5:1–2. [web resource] Marylands: USA. [Updated 10 May 2017
37. Coleman S, Gilpin D, Kaplan FT, Houston A, Kaufman GJ, Cohen BM, Jones N, Tursi JP. Efficacy and safety of concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections for multiple Dupuytren contractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2014;39(1):57–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2013.10.002 PMid:24315486
38. Kan HJ, Verrijp FW, Huisstede BMA, Hovius SER, van Nieuwenhoven CA, Selles RW. The consequences of different definitions for recurrence of Dupuytren's disease. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013;66(1):95–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2012.08.019 PMid:23137947
39. Peimer CA, Blazar P, Coleman S, Kaplan FT, Smith T, Lindau T. Dupuytren contracture recurrence following treatment with collagenase clostridium histolyticum (CORDLESS): 5-year data. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(8):1597–605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.04.036 PMid:26096221
40. Kan HJ, Verrijp FW, Hovius SER, van Nieuwenhoven CA, Dupuytren Delphi Group, Selles RW. Recurrence of Dupuytren's contracture: a consensus-based definition. PLOS One. 2017;12(5). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0164849
41. Watt AJ, Curtin CM, Hentz VR. Collagenase injection as nonsurgical treatment of Dupuytren's disease: 8-year follow-up. J Hand Surg. 2010;35.
42. Peimer CA, Blazar P, Coleman S, Kaplan FT, Smith T, Tursi JP, Cohen B, Kaufman GJ, Lindau T. Dupuytren contracture recurrence following treatment with collagenase clostridium histolyticum (CORDLESS study): 3-year data. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):12–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.09.028 PMid:23200951
43. Lewis E, Fors L, Tharion WJ. Interrater and intrarater reliability of finger goniometric measurements. Am J Occup Ther. 2010;64(4):555–61. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2010.09028 PMid:20825126
44. Manning CJ, Delaney R, Hayton MJ. Efficacy and tolerability of day two manipulation and local anaesthesia after collagenase injection in patients with Dupuytren's contracture. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014;39(5):466–71. https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193413490899 PMid:23719171
45. Chae MLR, Hunter-Smith DJ, Rozen WM. Delayed seven day manipulation in collagenase treatment for Dupuytren's disease. Aust NZ J Surg. 2018;88 Suppl 1:71–79.
46. Jerosch-Herold C, Shepstone L, Chojnowski AJ, Larson D, Barrett E, Vaughan SP. Night-time splinting after fasciectomy or dermo-fasciectomy for Dupuytren's contracture: a pragmatic, multi-centre, randomised controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011;12:136. https://doi.org/10.1186/14712474-12-136 PMid:21693044 PMCid:PMC3146906
47. Kemler MA, Houpt P, van der Horst CMAM. A pilot study assessing the effectiveness of postoperative splinting after limited fasciectomy for Dupuytren's disease. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012;37(8):733–37. https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193412437631 PMid:22311918
48. Pratt AL, Ball C. What are we measuring? A critique of range of motion methods currently in use for Dupuytren's disease and recommendations for practice. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:20. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-016-0884-3 PMid:26762197 PMCid:PMC4712477
49. Rodrigues JN, Zhang W, Scammell BE, Davis TRC. What patients want from the treatment of Dupuytren's disease-is the unité rhumatologique des affections de la main (URAM) scale relevant? J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014;40(2):150–54. https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193414524689 PMid:24563499
50. Witthaut J, Jones G, Skrepnik N, Kushner H, Houston A, Lindau TR. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum injection for Dupuytren contracture: short-term results from two open-label studies. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):2–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.10.008 PMid:23218556
51. Lundh A, Lexchin J, Mintzes B, Schroll JB, Bero L. Industry sponsorship and research outcome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2017;2:Mr000033 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.MR000033.pub3
52. Scherman P, Jenmalm P, Dahlin LB. One-year results of needle fasciotomy and collagenase injection in treatment of Dupuytren's contracture: a two-centre prospective randomized clinical trial. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2016;41(6):577–82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193415617385 PMid:26631343
53. Toppi JT, Trompf L, Smoll NR, Lim V, Smith K, Findlay MW, Hunter-Smith DJ. Dupuytren's contracture: an analysis of outcomes of percutaneous needle fasciotomy versus open fasciectomy. ANZ J Surg. 2014;85(9):639–43. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.12513 PMid:24438029
54. van Rijssen AL, ter Linden H, Werker PM. Five-year results of a randomized clinical trial on treatment in Dupuytren's disease: percutaneous needle fasciotomy versus limited fasciectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;129(2):469–77. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0b013e31823aea95 PMid:21987045