Main Article Content
osseointegration, bone-anchored prosthesis, amputation, prosthesis, lower extremity
Background: Traditional socket-based prostheses are an important rehabilitation tool in lower limb amputation, however, patients often experience skin-related problems, pain, stump volume fluctuations and poor suspension. Osseointegration offers a suitable alternative by providing direct skeletal attachment for limb prosthesis. This study aims to review the complications following osseointegration for lower limb amputation, with attention to mechanical abutment failure.
Method: A retrospective chart review was undertaken of all patients who underwent transfemoral osseointegration between January 2000 and June 2019 through the osseointegration and targeted muscle reinnervation surgical and rehabilitation program at The Alfred in Victoria, Australia. Ethics approval was obtained through The Alfred’s ethics committee (414/16). In 2016 this program was redesigned and in 2017 the osseointegration implant system was modified. Patients underwent a two-stage surgical procedure followed by a rehabilitation protocol that gradually increased their activity.
Results: A total of 19 limbs were osseointegrated in 18 patients during the study period. Two patients had their implant removed due to failure of osseointegration. The most common complication was a mechanical abutment failure, occurring 46 times in 11 patients. Patients who suffered an abutment failure reported higher levels of postoperative activity. Soft-tissue infections occurred in five patients: three superficial skin infections and two collections. There were no mechanical abutment failures noted in the updated program.
Conclusion: Osseointegration is a good option for patients who may have difficulties with traditional socket prosthesis. However, complications such as abutment fracture can occur, and appropriate patient selection and counselling are required
2. Brånemark R, Brånemark PI, Rydevik B, Myers RR. Osseointegration in skeletal reconstruction and rehabilitation: a review. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2001;38(2):175–81.
3. Hagberg K, Brånemark R, Hägg O. Questionnaire for Persons with a Transfemoral Amputation (Q-TFA): initial validity and reliability of a new outcome measure. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2004;41(5):695–706. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2003.11.0167 PMid:15558399
4. Lee WC, Frossard LA, Hagberg K, Haggstrom E, Brånemark R, Evans JH, MJ Pearcy. Kinetics of transfemoral amputees with osseointegrated fixation performing common activities of daily living. Clin Biomech. 2007;22(6):665–73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2007.02.005 PMid:17400346
5. Penn-Barwell JG. Outcomes in lower limb amputation following trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Injury. 2011;42(12):1474–479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2011.07.005 PMid:21831371
6. Hagberg K, Hansson E, Brånemark R. Outcome of percutaneous osseointegrated prostheses for patients with unilateral transfemoral amputation at two-year follow-up. Archives Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014;95(11):2120–127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2014.07.009 PMid:25064778
7. Lee WC, Frossard LA, Hagberg K, Haggstrom E, Gowe DL, Gray S, Brånemark R. Magnitude and variability of loading on the osseointegrated implant of transfemoral amputees during walking. Med Eng Phys. 2008;30(7):825–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2007.09.003 PMid:17977050
8. Van de Meent H, Hopman MT, Frölke JP. Walking ability and quality of life in subjects with transfemoral amputation: a comparison of osseointegration with socket prostheses. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013;94(11):2174–178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.05.020 PMid:23774380
9. Salminger S, Gradischar A, Skiera R, Roche AD, Sturma A, Hofer C, Aszmann OC. Attachment of upper arm prostheses with a subcutaneous osseointegrated implant in transhumeral amputees. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2018;42(1):93–100. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309364616665732 PMid:27638013
10. Raichle KA, Hanley MA, Molton I, Kadel NJ, Campbell K, Phelps E, Ehde D, Smith DG. Prosthesis use in persons with lower-and upper-limb amputation. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2008;45(7):961–72. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2007.09.0151 PMid:19165686 PMCid:PMC2743731
11. Adell R, Eriksson B, Lekholm U, PI Brånemark, T Jemt. Long-term follow-up study of osseointegrated implants in the treatment of totally edentulous jaws. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1990;5(4):347–59.
12. Jonsson S, Caine-Winterberger K, Brånemark R. Osseointegration amputation prostheses on the upper limbs: methods, prosthetics and rehabilitation. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2011;35(2):190–200. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309364611409003 PMid:21697201
13. Nebergall A, Bragdon C, Antonellis A, Kärrholm J, Brånemark R, Malchau H. Stable fixation of an osseointegrated implant system for above-the-knee amputees: title RSA and radiographic evaluation of migration and bone remodeling in 55 cases. Acta Orthop. 2012;83(2):121–28. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453674.2012.678799 PMid:22489885 PMCid:PMC3339524
14. Hagberg K, Brånemark R. One hundred patients treated with osseointegrated transfemoral amputation prostheses-rehabilitation perspective. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2009;46(3):331–44. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2008.06.0080 PMid:19675986
15. Sullivan J, Uden M, Robinson K, Sooriakumaran S. Rehabilitation of the trans-femoral amputee with an osseointegrated prosthesis: the United Kingdom experience. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2003;27(2):114–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/03093640308726667 PMid:14571941
16. Tillander J, Hagberg K, Hagberg L, Brånemark R. Osseointegrated titanium implants for limb prostheses attachments: infectious complications. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468(10):2781–788. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-010-1370-0 PMid:20473597 PMCid:PMC2939339
17. Tsikandylakis G, Berlin O, Brånemark R. Implant survival, adverse events, and bone remodeling of osseointegrated percutaneous implants for transhumeral amputees. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472(10):2947–956. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3695-6 PMid:24879569 PMCid:PMC4160502
18. Frossard LA, Tranberg R, Haggstrom E, Pearcy M, Brånemark R. Load on osseointegrated fixation of a transfemoral amputee during a fall: loading, descent, impact and recovery analysis. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2010;34(1):85–97. https://doi.org/10.3109/03093640903585024 PMid:20196690
19. Frossard L, Hagberg K, Häggström E, Gow DL, Brånemark R, Pearcy M. Functional outcome of transfemoral amputees fitted with an osseointegrated fixation: temporal gait characteristics. J Prosthet Orthot. 2010;22(1):11–20. https://doi.org/10.1097/JPO.0b013e3181ccc53d
20. Frossard L, Stevenson N, Smeathers J, Häggström E, Hagberg K, Sullivan J, Ewins D, Gow DL, Gray S, Brånemark R. Monitoring of the load regime applied on the osseointegrated fixation of a trans-femoral amputee: a tool for evidence-based practice. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2008;32(1):68–78. https://doi.org/10.1080/03093640701676319 PMid:18330805
21. Frossard LA, Haggstrom E, Hagberg K, Brånemark R. Load applied on a bone-anchored transfemoral prosthesis: characterisation of a prosthesis: a pilot study. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2013;50(5):619–34. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2012.04.0062 PMid:24013910