What is ORCID?
ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) is a global, open source, not-for-profit register of authors and researchers supported by universities and private institutes, government and commercial laboratories, academic publishers and other research institutions worldwide.
When you register with ORCID, you are given a unique and persistent (life-long) identifier (ORCID iD) that links all of your research activities in one place. You control what information is accessible and who sees it. When you share your ORCID iD you guarantee accurate attribution of your research by eliminating any risk of ambiguity over your name, and therefore, your authorship.
Likewise, reviewers can list their peer-review contributions in their ORCID iD, guaranteeing recognition of their research contributions.
ORCID benefits publishers, funding bodies and organisations to streamline workflows and in 2015 was endorsed by the Australian Research Council and National Health and Medical Research Council as part of their grant management systems.
The Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery endorses ORCID and asks all authors to provide their own, and their co-authors', ORCID iD upon submission of a manuscript. This information can be added to a user's profile by following the steps below.
We encourage authors to read more about ORCID.
If you have an existing research record with another service, you can easily share your date to ORCID by following these steps: Direct import to ORCID
Adding your ORCHID iD to your profile
You can include your ORCID iD in your profile when you register with AJOPS or add/update this information later.
- Login to AJOPS www.ajops.com
- Place your cursor over your name in the top right hand corner of the screen and select 'View Profile'. Your profile page will be displayed with the landing tab 'Identity' on view.
- Click on the fourth tab along titled 'Public'. Here you can add a profile picture, biographical information and a home page URL if you have a professional website or page you would like to link to and your ORCID iD.
- If you already have an ORCID iD, enter it into the 'Orcid ID' field now then click 'Save'
- If you don't have an ORCID iD, visit the official website (https://orcid.org/) and register for an account now (it is a quick and easy process).
- Your ORCID iD will appear as a 16 digit number that displays directly under your name on the ORCID website in the following format: https://orcid.org/XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. Copy your ORCID iD and paste it into the ORCID iD field under 'Public' in your AJOPS profile. Click on the 'Save' button at the bottom of this page. You have sucessfully updated your profile to include your ORCID iD.
What happens next?
On publication, all authors' who have added their ORCID iD will have it displayed as a hyperlink on the AJOPS view article page next to their name. In future, AJOPS will be implementing an auto-update feature that will simultaneously update your ORCID iD record at the time of publication with your AJOPS article/case report etc.
If you experience any problems completing your user profile, please email [email protected].